“writing and reading decrease our sense of isolation. we are given a shot at dancing with, or at least clapping along with, the absurdity of life, instead of being squashed by it over and over again. it's like singing on a boat during a terrible storm at sea. you can't stop the raging storm, but singing can change the hearts and spirits of the people who are together on that ship.”
- anne lamott


Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Detroit Hustle

I really enjoyed this book, so much so that I want to write about it, which I don't usually do :)
I like books like this--the main book it reminded me of was Not All of Us Are Saints. It's a book I really identify with, a book about some people trying to  do good and right things and never really being sure if it's working out that way. Amy spends a lot of time pondering what the meaning of gentrification is, and what it means to be an insider v. an outsider, without giving any kind of easy answers. The answer is not simple--just don't move to Detroit!--because economies are in great need. And yet the ways in which haves and have nots get drawn unpurposefuly along race lines is deeply disturbing. The book made me lose my faith a bit more in trickle down economics, and at the same time made me more excited than ever to be building my own community here in Provo. Provo is in some ways very much on the brink of change--nothing at all like Detroit, but the decisions we make now are going to have serious long term repercussions, everything from public transport to schools to housing. I feel like my decision  to set down deep, deep roots in Provo is a good decision--even as I long for experiences like working for On Being, for example, for now the signs are clear that I should build here, and build deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment